Thursday, April 8, 2010

I ain't no Fat Giraffe!!!


About a year ago, Mark & I began a journey into healthy foods. We started slowly with just avoiding High Fructose Corn Syrup and labels that had ingredients we deemed "unnatural" (or just with too many chemical sounding ingredients.) We then moved into buying only Local, In Season & Organic stuff which we have been doing for about 6 months.
Well kids...I have to say that I can totally tell the difference in my health & well being. I have lost about 15lbs. The jeans that I needed a shoe horn to fit into are now baggy. And, this is purely conjecture that it is related, but my allergies have all but disappeared. I don't like exercise and never have so I am happy that just this fairly minor change in diet has made such a huge difference.
I know this is not scientific, but I think a lot of it has to do with High Fructose Corn Syrup...it is in EVERYTHING and the calories really add up quickly. I mean why does it need to be in bread?!?! When I bake bread, I don't add a cup of HFCS?? Come on!!! So when we stopped eating this sneaky stuff, the weight just melted off. How easy is that!! Simple change. But it is tricky because you have to watch those labels. Even hot dogs have it...all of them except Nathan's, but now we go to Findlay Market or Red Sun to get freshie sausages and hardly miss hot dogs at all. We have to make more of our own stuff from scratch to avoid it - like Chocolate Syrup & Salad Dressings - but it is worth it in flavor & calories.
Anyway...just happy to be on the road to swim suit season in a good place again.
Kris

2 comments:

Matt said...

Congrats. I love the picture of the giraffe. And I'm constantly disturbed at where HFC is. I've been paying more attention as well, and it's really shocking. I'm trying to cut down on anything that has ingredients on it that I don't know what it is or what it does. It's tough. I really need to stop eating school lunches... it's just that damn convenience factor.

Matt said...

Kroger bakery section - whole wheat bread.... yup. HFC.