
So I have been reading a blog of an acquaintance recently. It pertains to being vegan and the hijinx that ensue. It is a nice blog with recipes and commentary about the lifestyle. Which is cool and I truly respect vegans.
Here is my bone to pick with this person and more importantly "healthy food" consumers & manufacturers. Yes, you are not harming animals or using products of mistreated animals AND you may be lowering your cholesterol/calories/sugar intake by choosing certain foods. BUT...you are then eating a flaming pile of chemicals that are manufactured to taste like meat, butter, cheese, eggs, whatever.
Take "I Can't Believe it's Not Butter" or other butter-esque products...yes...it does not have milk products in it because I look at the ingredient list on the side of the plastic tub...not one natural substance in there. Butter has but a few natural ingredients: Milk, Cream, & sometimes salt. I think I would rather eat food made from ingredients that come from a local cow than from a laboratory. So I might be cutting out the fat & cholesterol, but I am gaining mysterious chemicals that we have no idea what they do do the human body. Again...natural & fatty in moderation seems to make more sense to me. And as long as you know your source...then dairy can be done cruelty free. Takes some research and maybe limiting your overall intake, but Happy cows...happy milk/cheese/butter...happy body.
Same with Vegan "Meat" - I just have no idea what is in most of that stuff! And why anyone would want to eat most of it. I would rather eat zero meat than fake chemical weird meat-like globs...talk about processed. Valid food like vegetables mashed up with crazy stuff to make it taste like meat. Who is the genius behind that one. That being said...I like obviously veggie patties, like Columbus made Luna Burgers. They taste good, you can tell what is in them, and they are made locally with human hands.
I love animals and can totally see the point in not harming them...but I have not made that leap. Instead I buy local meat...they still have to die...but at least they were not mistreated while alive. I know that is the whole issue...the death part...but until I come to a point where I can do it...this is where I am.
Unless I see an ingredient list that sounds like something I could make myself with a recipe...no thanks! And heck, if I am looking for that...I WILL JUST MAKE IT MYSELF.
I think the whole problem is convenience foods...and shortly after that...consumer ignorance. If you don't know what it is...I suggest not eating it.
I am all for healthy eating...but make sure you are actually eating healthy foods while being vegan. But be a smart consumer to boot!
2 comments:
Sure. But some people would argue that a local organically raised dead cow is still a dead cow. And therefore not happy. And the locally grown chicken is pretty damn miserable. So they make a choice to forgo all of those things and be a vegan. Believe me. I don't want to be a vegan. And I'm not a 100% locavore/whole foods kind of guy. I just see both sides of it. Everyone makes lifestyle choices - just like you have. It depends on what your "thing" is I guess. All that said I COMPLETELY agree with trying to eat things that you actually understand what is in them.
I said the exact same thing...quote, "I know that is the whole issue...the death part...but until I come to a point where I can do it...this is where I am."
I can see both sides also and that there is still a bad/good/better/best situation - especially from the animal's point of view :) But Veganism isn't for everyone...we are omnivores afterall.
Post a Comment