Saturday, March 5, 2011

Butterscotch Pudding


Today...I made Butterscotch Pudding from scratch. Mark & I used to LOVE to eat Jell-O Brand Instant No Sugar Pudding. It was our go-to dessert. But then we read the ingredients...and it was gone forever. So I finally found a recipe for Butterscotch (Mark's fav) pudding with good igredients. It didn't take very long to make at all...probably the same amount of time as the cooked version of Jello pudding.


Half way through the cooking though I was skeptical. It was a lot of liquid and I didn't really believe that it would "thicken" as the recipe promised. But all of a sudden - WHAMMO - pudding consistancy. I should have had faith in the power of cornstarch...it is magical!


So here is the recipe...it is still cooling in the fridge for after dinner...so I will comment with the flavor review. Maybe I will look for a Chocolate Pudding recipe too...since it is MY fav!


Butterscotch Pudding

3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
2 cups milk
1/2 cup light (10%) cream
1 egg
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla

In a medium saucepan, mix together the brown sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in the milk and cream. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to thicken.

In a small bowl, beat the egg. Add about 1/2 cup of the hot milk mixture to the egg and mix well. Pour the egg mixture back into the pot and continue to stir constantly until mixture thickens.

Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla, stirring until well blended and butter is completely melted.

Pour into serving dishes. Serve warm or chilled as you prefer.

Serves 4.
Enjoy!
Kris

4 comments:

Matt said...

hmmmm... doesn't seem like it would taste like butterscotch. but cool that it does! cornstarch is pretty cool.

danl77 said...

holy crap...I love butterscotch. I am making this tonight.

I just got turned on.

butterscotch....

Mike said...

There's butter in it, but no scotch?

Kris Becknell said...

It turned out pretty well...but I think the recipe has too much vanilla in it. All we could taste was vanilla and VERY rich. Yummy but rich.

Kris