Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Local Foods Pledge

So Mark and I have been talking..."How far are we going to take this local eating thing..." So I thought it might be good to lay down some ground rules or goals. I feel very confident that we can be a whole lot more concious of what we are eating for sure!

Here goes:

Choose local over non-local when offered

Learn what produce is in season when

Switch to local honey & maple syrup

Switch to pastured eggs

Visit a farmers' market once a week (Northside FM goes all winter now every Wed 4:30-7:30)

Add more seasonal recipes to my collection

Freeze a frequently-used item during the season (tomatoes, corn, onions, peppers)

Can or Freeze a frequently-used item during the season (tomato sauce, tomato paste, enchilada sauce, chile sauce, pickles)

Join a CSA again (Eaton Farm begins May 2010 - $375 for 1/2 share for 22 weeks
...includes 1/2 dozen pasatured eggs per week!!)

Purchase a side of grass-fed beef (McKinney & Sons Farm - Delivering in January = $189 to split with Mark's parents & The Hinsons)

Purchase local pastured chickens, turkey & pork (Red Sun Farm or Tewes Farm)

Use milk & cream from Snowville Creamery (at Biggs)

When eating out...try to eat at a locally sourced restaurant or at least a locally owned one

Try to drastically reduce the amount we eat out at restaurants ($$ too)



Kris

2 comments:

Becky Schatz said...

Awesome - way to go Becknell!

Kris Becknell said...

This may sound stupid, but the hardest thing to do is come up with Side Dishes. We do a lot rice or beans, but without the ease of throwing some Frozen French Fries in the oven, it is hard to think of stuff to make. I guess that is the challenge...not as easy...I guess that is why things are called conveinience foods.

Kris