Monday, September 13, 2010

CSA & Garden Update!!


We are slowly winding down the CSA season and due to the drought-esque conditions here in Cinci, it seems to affecting our Farm quite a lot. The baskets are getting a bit lighter than they were, but still have a fantastic variety. This week, we got: Potatoes, Arugula, Cherry Tomatoes, Basil, Zucchini, Summer Squash, Garlic, Butternut Squash, Kale & Eggs.


Our garden, on the other hand, did not get the memo about the drought. I had missed about a week of harvesting and ended up with a giant bucket full of beautiful produce. Hungarian Wax Peppers, Jalapeno Peppers, Bell Peppers, Tomatoes and of course...


A MILLION Mexican Midget tomatoes. We took a few bags of these cuties to share with the Mavridoglou clan...too many for just Mark & I to eat.

And now on to the Science portion of the today's blog. Mark & I are convinced that we have a "cross -polination hybrid" situation occuring right in our own backyard. Now this is not 100% fact, since I am not a scientist (because I am a girl), but we think that the Mexican Midgets cross with the Eggplants to form the oblong cherry tomatoes above. And that the Mexican Midgets also crossed with the regular tomatoes to creat perfectly round slightly larger tomatoes. These all came from different plants...that WE did not plant. They just started growing around the corner of the house from the garden. Gregor Mendel would be proud...or mad about our haphazard methodology...either one...still tasty!

Kris











1 comment:

Matt said...

It is AMAZING how much your little garden has produced this summer. I'm so impressed with the way you and Mark have developed some real green thumbs! I need to figure out what the growing season is down here so at the least I can get some basil started again.

Nice work.