
I had to pull out the big gun for this project...the 8 quarts of water and a turkey carcass were not going to fit in my regular stock pot...so the canner was called into duty. I got Joe & Margaret to give me the turkey leftovers (with juice) and brought it home to make stock. I have gotten pretty good at Chicken stock. I tried Beef stock which got mixed reviews. So now on to Turkey stock. We will see how it turns out...it is supposed to yeild 6 quarts of stock...so I hope it is good :)
Here is the recipe in case you have a turkey carcass laying around:
TURKEY STOCK8 quarts cold water
1 turkey carcass, meat removed, leaving some crisp skin on if possible
8 ounces onions, chopped
4 ounces carrots, chopped
2 small heads garlic, cut in half horizontally
1 teaspoon or so black peppercorns, cracked
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
Break up the turkey carcass, and chop some of the larger bones in half. Put the carcass in the stockpot with the water and bring slowly to a simmer. Periodically skim off any scum that forms, and if you wish use a skimmer to skim off the fat. Let this simmer for two hours.
Add the mirepoix and spices. Simmer for one more hour.
Remember that during the simmering process, it's best not to stir the stock. The end result will be much clearer if it is not agitated while simmering.
Strain thoroughly; the best way to do this is to ladle the stock out and pour it through a strainer. Refrigerate overnight, until the fat solidifies on the surface, then skim off.
Makes about 6 quarts of stock.
Next is Ham stock...I have two ham bones in the freezer waiting for me :)
Kris
No comments:
Post a Comment