Saturday, February 5, 2011

Homemade Ricotta

So one of the painful things about going local & organic is that stuff is very expensive. I just cannot justify $8 for a small tub of ricotta cheese that isn't even local. So I found a recipe online and used my favorite Snowville Creamery milk to make. I have made farmers cheese (or paneer) using a very similar method so I thought I would give this a try. And it turned out great although it made A LOT...next time I will cut the recipe in half.


Start with 1 gallon of whole milk & 1/4 tsp of salt. Heat slowly until 180-180 degrees and then remove from heat.

Add 1/3 cup + 1 tsp of distilled white vinegar and stir for 1 minute. It will start clumping up right away.

Cover it with a clean towel and let it sit for 2 hours or more. Spoon into a collander lined with wet cheescloth and let sit for 2 hours or more depending on how dry you want the ricotta.

And it ends up looking like this and tasting GREAT! Very fresh. I am excite to make the calzones tonight.

Kris

2 comments:

Matt said...

Nice. Making cheese is a little intimidating. I had wanted to make paneer, but chickened out.

Now, I'd like some smoked gouda next. I'll pay for delivery. Thanks.

Kris Becknell said...

Yum! Smoked Gouda!!!