Sunday, August 28, 2011

Getting my feet wet...or actually getting my fingers blue...


So I finally was able to gather all my materials together and set up my Batik workspace in the basement. I am at the moment still sharing with JEHC, but am hoping to have the place to myself shortly. I thought I had everything I needed, but then quickly discovered the first rule of Batiking:

WEAR PLASTIC GLOVES WHEN DYEING STUFF!!! The dreaded Blue Fingers!!


This is my first attempt. I basically just was trying to make sure my wax was the right temp (250 degrees) so that it would permeate the fabric properly and then trying to see how well I could draw with the Tjanting device (basically a wax pen stick with a well that holds the wax) and the brush. Need more brushes in different sizes. I really like the wax part...will be fun to do some real designs and stamps, but the dyeing part was a bit tough as I feel like I lost a lot of my dye's deep color and it also bled into my white bits. And the wax REMOVAL part...kind of sucks. Will hope to read up a little more on problem solving. I also need to have a better plan for next time so I don't have to run up and down the basement stairs with boiling water and dye pans. Logistics....

Stay tuned for more news from Batik central...

Kris

1 comment:

Bill said...

You've made a good start.