
A little scrawny, but still goodness: Eggs, Strawberries, Onions, Radishes, Chinese Cabbage and Leaf Lettuce. Mark ate all of the strawberries and we used all the eggs, but everything else wilted and we had to chuck it. Sad :( It was totally my fault...I didn't wash & refrigerate things properly.
But this week - WHAMMO! The farm exploded with awesome veggies!!! We got: Tons of strawberries, radishes, Leaf Lettuce, Swiss Chard, Chinese Cabbage, Garlic Scapes, Eggs & Green Garlic. We also bought Mohr Farms bacon ($5.99 a pound for happy pigs), more asparagus and a loaf of Whole Wheat Blue Oven Bakery bread.
Look at this beautiful Swiss Chard!!! So colorful!!!

We also made a stop at Newtown Farm Market to purchase additional in season veggies to freeze: Green Beans, Cabbage, Carrots, Onions, Green Peppers (from GA) and some Organic Hydroponic Canadian Tomatoes that I couldn't resist because I haven't had a tomato in a while.
I promptly processed this week's harvest by blanching & freezing almost everything or using it yesterday for lunch & dinner. It takes a fair amount of work to wash, chop, blanch, shock cool, dry, bag, label & freeze several different kinds of veggies...about 4 hours worth of work in the kitchen. I use my trusty book by the Rodale Institute - "Stocking Up - The Third Edition of America's Classic Preserving Guide" and the greatest garage sale find EVER - The Zyliss Salad Spinner shown below shining like a beacon of happiness...

Normally this little baby retails at fine establishments (like Sur la Table) for $29.95...but I got it for $1.00!!! And it looks brand new. It really sped up the drying process and helped with cleaning the leafy veggies. Not sure what I did last year without it.
We also started our garden this weekend...I helped A LOT...okay just kidding. I was outside for about 30 minutes and I was pointless trying to help Mark, so I went inside. He planted everything. And in 72-87 days we should have tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, green peppers, jalapeno peppers, red peppers, yellow peppers, eggplants, basil, & cilantro. WOO HOO!! Then I can process and freeze those too :)


5 comments:
$1.00 for a Zyliss salad spinner? What a find!
Good job on the garden. I'll try to post pictures of ours if it ever stops raining.
Oh, BTW, Mr. Schatz is back at the blogging too!
What variety of tomato did you plant?
Beefy Boy...We couldn't resist that name...no idea if they are good or not...but the name :)
Kris
Chard is one of our favorites now and really good for you. Nice lookin' garden. Hope to see it in person this summer.
Love the salad spinner - and was happy to be a recipient of a couple of those yummy strawberries. Any time Mark doesn't want the fruit, you know neighbors are good help :)
Your freezing/canning is impressive. Nice to know rudolofo has leafy green company.
Post a Comment